May is Correct Posture Month
With spring here and summer just around the corner, it is imperative that we take a few minutes to reflect on how our posture affects our wellness on an everyday basis. If done improperly, everyday tasks such as mowing, gardening, house repairs and playing sports can lead to some very long and painful months ahead!
During correct posture month, we encourage all of you to listen to your bodies and use preventative measures at work and at home. Here are a few suggestions to help reduce the risk of spinal injury:
- While at the office, remember to take frequent stretch breaks while working on your computer. The more hours per day you use your computer, the greater the risk of discomfort or injury.
- While working on your computer, sit with your knees at approximately a 90 to 120 degree angle. Using an angled foot rest to support your feet may help you sit more comfortably.
- Make sure your chair fits correctly. Allow for two inches between the front edge of the seat and the back of your knees. The chair should tilt back so you can rest while you’re reading what is on your computer screen.
- Avoid twisting and turning motions. Always bend from the knees, not your waist, when lifting anything heavier than ten percent of your body weight, such as a child or a heavy box.
- Warm up and stretch before any physical activity, including all sports, raking, and gardening. Be aware of your body form and technique: stand as erect as possible and let your legs and arms do the work, not your back. Allow your body and muscles time to cool down after such an activity.
- It is important to get a good night’s rest. Choose a comfortable supportive mattress as well as a pillow that supports the weight of your head, reducing the risk of back or neck pain.
The key to correct posture is prevention; listen to your body’s warning signals and adjust your lifestyle accordingly.
REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR WELLNESS VISITS WITH YOUR CHIROPRACTOR AS THEY ARE TRAINED TO ADJUST OR MANIPULATE THE SPINE TO ENCOURAGE THE BODY’S NATURAL HEALING PROCESS!